Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Plum Island - A Well Kept Secret!


Last Sunday Rob and I found ourselves with just one child!  I recently read about trails on Plum Island, so we ventured over there to try them out.  It was amazing!  The views were spectacular.  The trails are entirely on boardwalks, it was so much fun!  I cannot wait to bring the boys back, I think they'll love it!  and once it gets warmer I am sure we can see much more wildlife.  We only saw one type of small bird while we were there.  I can't believe I haven't been here sooner!  The last (and only) time I have been was during a field trip in middle school when we were studying tide pools!

When we arrived we had no children!  Or should I say one sleeping child.

We did the entire first loop with her asleep.




I loved this plant.. marsh grass?  I don't actually know what it is.





Here is the one type of bird that we saw

The whole way are these boardwalks.. I'm a sucker for them!  I find them so beautiful!  Can you imagine building them over the water?!  Very tricky.

On our way to the overlook... where Cora woke up!  We could hear birds, but we couldn't find them!




These berries were cool because they were under a thin layer of ice that was on the surface of the water

Cora needed a helping hand, she tends not to walk in a straight line and we were afraid we'd lose her over the edge!!

But she didn't really want to hold hands... she wanted to lead the way.. this is the Dune trail, not as exciting as the Marsh Trail.. but better exercise.. there were a ton of stairs!


A lookout point



With no water on either side it wasn't as risky for her to walk up ahead!

On our way to the observation tower... which I actually took no pictures from.



It was a beautiful sunny day, and very warm if you were sheltered from the wind.  Cora didn't want to go home!  I didn't blame her, the winter has been LONG!  It was great to take in the fresh air and sunshine!  Fun times ahead!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Loved the pictures! How'd you end up with only one kid???

Anonymous said...

WOW the photo of Cora on the Dune Trail looks exactly like Cole!
What happened to her other hat??
The one that fits her!

Kelly said...

I love this place! I really want to take the kids there this summer.

You and I need to do a photo excursion to something like this by our selves without the whining of our men. :) haha!