Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sugar, Sugar!

Aside from 'Sugar, Sugar' being Rob's and my cake cutting song at our wedding, last weekend was annual Maple Sugaring Weekend!  This was our 2nd annual trip to a local sugar shack for their tour and yummy samplings!  I actually saw an ad for one in Chester, NH that we may check out next year for variety.

They have you try the sugar water that drips from the trees that they then boil down to make the syrup.  I must not have been paying attention last year, because I learned a lot more this year! 

I loved this barn opening!  There was patch of hay underneath it that was even better, but my "model" would have no part in it, so I had to trap her up in this doorway that was 5 feet off the ground instead!  If only I had grabbed her hat.. she loves wearing it down over her eyes! 

The next bucket step!  Where they strain the pre-thickened syrup and bring it to a more controlled heating setup to finish off the process... and that is when Cora told me she had to go potty, so she and I missed the rest of the tour AND the ice cream with the maple syrup on it!!  Rob was kind enough to giver his sample to Cora, and I sucked it up like a big girl and went without, there was only a small bit of resentment towards the children :) I do love my ice cream!  and a drizzle of maple syrup on top is also one of my favorites.. although, I do prefer the fake stuff.. butter flavored to boot!

Cora dressed up for the occasion! You can't tell me this girl isn't classy!


You can see the progression of our group picture.. my boys were bribed into it with the prospect of maple sugar candy!  They boys look forward to their maple leaf each year... I think that is the only thing Caden remembers from last years maple sugar weekend!

Almost...

There!! All five faces seen by the camera, Smiles are not required!

We came home to discover the daffodils coming up!  Just a gentle reminder that the Christmas lights needed to come down!  We completed that task yesterday!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Love the pearls! Stay classy Cora!

Kelly said...

LOL! I love the last pic. Perfect mix of spring and winter's leftovers.

Kelly said...

Damn you Lisa! Every time I see your blog post title on my blog that song pops into my head and I cannot get it out!! :)