Monday, February 23, 2009

The arrival of Cora Jane!



Rewind to February 19th when I decided to decline the induction by breaking my water... well a few hours later while sleeping on the couch (the norm after around 12:30am every night) at 2:15 AM I got to experience my water breaking.. ew! With the boys they had to break it for me during labor. Here we go I thought! I went upstairs to tell Rob who jumped out of bed in a flash. Still no contractions so we called the midwives to tell them we were coming, we called my Mom to tell her to be on her way ( I can only imagine the scurry!), and we called Kim to get here until my Mom could take over. Of course it decided to snow that night so we woke up to 4 or 5 inches to travel in! After 5 or so minutes I got my first contraction, and within 5 more minutes they were already 2 to 3 minutes apart. We were in the car ready to go when Kim pulled in the driveway. "Thanks Kim!" we called out the window! as we reversed by her!!

I probably could have started pushing in the car had I wanted a roadside baby.. but that wasn't on our agenda. We arrived at the hospital and was whisked up to the Mom's Place they wheeled me right into a room, bypassing triage, they'd admit me later. The kind nurse did decide to crash me into a wall on the way into the nurse mid-contraction.. that was nice! I basically got the johnny and belly band for the baby's heart rate monitor on, she checked me and found me fully dilated and told me to start pushing whenever I wanted... wanted? ugh! A contraction or two later I got up the courage to put myself through a delivery once again... about 4 to 5 contractions later at 3:19 AM Cora Jane Rogers was born! as they put it.. "with her hand Add Imagereaching for Daddy's wallet" her arm came out with her head.. ouch! They also told us she may take a special liking to necklaces later as her umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice (loosely thankfully!)

From my water breaking to Cora joining us was only 64 minutes! Thank goodness we had an action plan!! at 10 lbs 10 oz, 22 1/4" and such a speedy delivery we were the talk of the baby floor!

The boys both love her, I''m not sure that is a strong enough word! They can't stop kissing her, we've had to make a rule, no touching Cora when she is sleeping.. it's a work in progress. You've been bombarded with our slide show already, so I've only added a few pictures... if you didn't see the slide show let me know and I'll email it to you! We'll be posting most other pictures here since we'll blog the individual events... so check back often!

No comments: