Monday, January 26, 2009

Tooth Extraction....

Ouch is the first thing I think of when I hear those words.. "My poor baby Caden" is what I think of when I hear this from Rob after Caden's visit to the dentist.

Rewind to June of 2007 when Cole was less than 1 week old and my confidence of being a Mother of two was thrown out with the bath water when Caden flipped out of an umbrella stroller smashing his face on the driveway. He made it through with a minute chip, and a slight discoloration of his tooth. They were able to polish the tar off of his teeth (I'm not kidding his teeth were black! how they weren't broken completely out of his mouth is beyond us!) and he gave himself a frenectomy (the attachment between the top lip and the top gums) which they said he would've needed if he hadn't had the accident.

Now fast forward to today when apparently the tooth has abscessed, and in order for it not to effect the permanent tooth growing behind it, he has to have it pulled :( The worst part is that Caden already hates the dentist, I'm not even sure hate is a strong enough word! I guess maybe the wrong word? Terrified? Rob took him today and he cried pretty much through the entire visit. While Caden has grown in so many ways in the past 6 months or so becoming so much more brave in many situations, he has not grown out of his fear of the dentist! Anyway! They found a pimple type bump on his gums above the bumped tooth so had to force him to get an x-ray, where they found the abscess. We always knew this could happen, but had sort of forgotten about it, since it's been almost 2 years, and thought we were in the clear.

So as of right now on February 19th (YES!! My due date!) Caden has an appointment to have his tooth pulled. We will try to reschedule it for sooner, but Rob has to check his plan book, to see where he can fit in another day off.. I would bring him and go in late to work, but I CANNOT be there and see him in that state, as much as I want to be able to be there to hold him and comfort him the entire time. Especially if they are unable to use nitrous oxide and they have to use "conscious sedation" ugh.. My stomach has been in knots all day worrying about it! I guess we should consider ourselves lucky, both boys have been extremely healthy, and had no major accidents up to this point, so really a pulled tooth is nothing!

Good thing Caden has started learning to skate, because soon he will look the part as a hockey player with his missing tooth! Or perhaps we need to move farther north in New Hampshire where missing teeth is more the norm! I kid, I kid! I'm just trying to make light of the situation.. supposedly adults take more notice than kids, but I still worry that kids will think he's a weirdo! I've heard and read they become cool because they've already lost a tooth which is a big deal and means you're "a big kid".. who knows, I guess we'll find out soon! Stay tuned, because you'll hear all about it.. and of course see pictures of our little jack-o-lantern.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that your husband has told you of the "Aunty Voo with the black tooth" story. Having a pulled tooth is fine. It gives him character, and a good story for when he wants to pick up the ladies at school ;-)
And as to thte dentist visit - remember, as much as he cries and screams, he WILL forget it. And it doesn't make you a bad mother!

Lisa said...

Hmm.. he has not told me the black tooth story! Perhaps it was traumatizing to him as well and he has blocked it from his memory?! I will have to ask him about it!!