Sunday, January 24, 2010

Winter Sun Catcher

I subscribe to a magazine called Family Fun, I believe it is through Disney, I'm not sure exactly how I started getting it sometimes I randomly get subscriptions, some are bad and some are good.. Family Fun is good. The issues are give or take, some issues are loaded front to back with great things, others are hit or miss.. this past issue was a good one! I got a new idea for a game for our Family Christmas Party and a fun craft for the kids.. among other things.

On to the Winter Sun Catcher! Very simple.. make one tray of ice cubes using colors that go well together... Caden chose purple (I added a bit too much food coloring so it looks black in the tray). Cole chose green. Good choices.. they go well together! Caden actually asked what happens when you mix all the colors and I told him brown and that is what he wanted.. but I convinced him otherwise.

Freeze the ice cubes
Once frozen use a round cake pan and place a cup filled with water near the top to create a hole for a ribbon to hang it (I used an applesauce cup from the kids that we'd saved to make jell-O cups). Place it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes.. I did an hour like they said and ended up with a layer of ice on the top and edges... so I'd go with less time.

After the pan is in the freezer for a bit pull it out and place the ice cubes in being sure to mix up the colors.. I had to do that, the kids had purple on one side and green on the other.. I forgot to take a picture until after I'd put it in the freezer and didn't want to risk spilling it more than I already had to take a picture.. so here it is nestled amongst Cora's Mommy milks!

After we'd made it, it was snowing.. and then it was the week days, so dark in the morning and dark in the night when I'm at home (lucky Rob gets home in the light). And finally Thursday (my half day for Caden's ski lessons) I was home with the kids while it wasn't precipitating and beaming glorious sunshine! Of course the sun was on the front of the house not the back, but here is our Sun Catcher.. in the shade outside our kitchen window so we can now watch it melt! Caden is excited for it to be warm and raining tomorrow so we can make a new one with different colors.


Pretty cool huh?!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea and way to learn color mixing, freezing & thawing!

Kelly said...

I must suscribe to this magazine again! I love this! :)

So, I totally just laid on the couch and watched the Notebook tonight! Something I can only do when I have control over the TV and no one is complaining! :) He-he. Fun times you guys today!! :)