Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Virus

No, none of us are sick.. it was our computer!

Ack! The worst experience ever! But now we are back with Windows reinstalled, and almost done resetting up our computer... adding the printer, reloading software, etc. We still have to transfer all of our backed up files back to the computer, which brings me to the topic of external hard drives. BEST INVENTION EVER! So glad we had an epiphany one day and went out to buy one. We lost the first 9 days of Caden's life when our computer died right after he was born. That was not a fun day. I still keep the computer so if someday we have extra money we can try to get them back. It wasn't a virus that time, it was some microchip that burnt out, but there are so many it will (they tell us) cost over $1000 to pay someone to remove and replace each chip individually to see which one it is just to be able to turn the computer back on. Thankfully we had printed most of the pictures already, and we didn't lose more because they were still on the camera card.

I had become lax about backing up lately, but thankfully I was able to transfer the files before the computer went totally wacky. We just hope the virus didn't get into any of our files!

After 6 hours with the Verizon guy, Kevin, he finally removed 45 adwares and 6 trojans, which he said wasn't bad, thankfully the really bad kind (which I can't remember the name) we didn't have. But we still couldn't open any files or use the Internet, so it had corrupted our computer. The only way was to reinstall Windows. He told me to call Dell to see how to do so because they don't give you the reboot CDs when you buy their computer. Mr. Dell guy informed me that it would be $129 for 72 hours of help to remove the virus or $239 for a full year of coverage, this all because our warranty had obviously expired. No, I said, Verizon already helped us rid the virus.. did I mention FOR FREE? So instead it would cost $49 to restore Windows using PC restore and if that didn't work it would be an additional $20 for them to send me the CDs to use. Thankfully I wanted to make sure our hard drive did have everything before erasing it all. Because Monday at work I was able to print out instructions.. FOR FREE.. on how to do it myself (without the CDs obviously) and even with CDs if I was able to get my hands on them. Anyway to make a long story longer.. it worked and we are back in the game.

How on earth do we get by without computers and the Internet? I do not remember! It was a long weekend without it!

Anyway we have a couple posts to catch up on.. so stay tuned this week!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Ah, that's the great thing about a Mac, no viruses. Glad everything turned out OK :)

Lisa said...

So all the Mac users keep telling me! Rob would love a Mac.. this just gives him more backing!

Kelly said...

And you missed our Guitar Hero night because of the virus! Horribleness! : )

I was nervous someone was sick because I saw a strange car in your driveway this morning. Because, you know, we are suspicious of anything amiss at your house. That, and we are nosey. : )

Lisa said...

Kim is trying out coming to our house in the morning to let Caden wake up gradually since he is so bad waking up, and then bringing them to her house, rather than me having to fight with him in "my condition!!"

Kelly said...

And, again, you have the best daycare provider ever.