Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Staycation - Part 1

In August I took a week off from work and we had a staycation!  for the most part anyway...  The first weekend I had a girls weekend in NY with a few friends from college, a very good time.. only wish it was longer since it rained on our only full day together.. next year!

Monday we met Danielle and her family at Canobie Lake Park.  It was an intersting day with not a lot of pictures.. we had Caden who was grumpy all day and didn't want to do anything, Cora who was afraid to do anything, and then we had Cole who was my amusement park buddy!  He went on every crazy ride with me that he was allowed to due to his height!  In a couple years buddy.. we'll be doing loop-de-loop rollercoasters!!

The first ride they went on was for kids only.  Caden and Cora didn't want to go on.  Maya and Devon rode together.. I don't remember why he started off with this sad face, probably because he was riding by himself.

That is more like it!!  Big smiles!  And that really is all the photos I took, not even a group picture :(  I only brought my point and shoot which is incapable of taking ride photos without being blurry.. so the camera was put away for the most part and we concentrated on having fun.. with those that were willing anyway :)  Clearly we are not ready for Disney!  But when we were home and started getting ready for bed Caden ended up burning up and we discovered he had a fever.. it went away during the day and came back at night for about three days.. I guess that explains his grumpiness.

Tuesday we ventured on a canoe adventure!  Caden was grumpy again to start and didn't want to go.. but we forced him and he ended up LOVING it!  Thank goodness!

They gave us an extra paddle so everyone could "help"

Really!! We had fun!  Even though it doesn't look like it here!


The boys did some fishing.. without a hook anyway just using a weight on the end to practice their casting.


This is when it started getting really fun!  We went on a turtle hunt! and saw tons of turtles!  The canoe rental company also gave us a sheet of things to look for like bugs, fish, and birds and lots of plants so it was a fun scavenger hunt.


Lookin' for turtles..




Cole got tired and took a nap in the bottom of the canoe... turns out he had a fever as well.. super vacation!  Luckily it didn't stop us from our activities.

Rob didn't have a fever, but said I wasn't pulling my weight because I was too busy taking pictures :)  So he protested and laid down. 

We had lunch in the canoe





Poor Cole-bear.. too tired to sit up and eat his apple!

Tuesday night we drove to Maine to visit Grampy and Uncle Brian.. Rob and I were supposed to take stand up paddle board lessons with Brian.. unfortunately it turned cold and rainy so the lesson got canceled :(  But at least we had a nice visit anyway! No photos since it rained and all photo ops are outside.. but here is one of Cole.. We told him the story about me when I was little, how I used to empty the toybox and get in to pretend I was Oscar the Grouch... he though that was hilarious so decided he'd give it a try.  I think I have a photo of myself in a photo similar to this that I should dig out! 

No comments: