Thursday, March 1, 2012

WInter. Where have you been... and where did you go?

At last!  Winter has arrived!  After being a bust for the past 3 months.  We've been busy, and we've been having fun.. but I must have the non-winter blues because I have hardly taken any pictures!  What happened to the snow right?  The sledding.. the snowshoeing?  Cora got snowshoes for Christmas and I wasn't sure we were going to get to try them out.  We have a lot to fit in before this snow melts!

But prior to this nearly foreign natural white stuff.. we found ways to enjoy winter without it... well with the fake kind :)

Finally for Caden's last ski lesson I was able to leave work during the day-light to see Caden ski!  He really enjoyed skiing this year, and if all goes as planned we're even going to a big mountain in a couple of weeks!!


I love the ski-trains they make coming down the mountain during their lessons.  I remember those days.. but I didn't start until 4th grade, not when I was three!


Caden can now ride the lift unassisted by an adult!  Bonus!


The most important winter activity we missed out on is sledding.. but at least we had bought a Groupon for tubing at Amesbury Sports Park with more man-made snow.. however quick tip, it is worth the money to go when there aren't 1,000 other Groupon users there since there is no other snow for 50 miles around.. the place was packed!! But only at the top of the hill.  We were there for 2 hours and only went down 3 times.  Three incredibly fun and thrilling times.. but we got tired (and cold) of waiting at the top for 45 minutes to get down the hill.  Next time we'll pick the time we go much more carefully!






"Snow" surrounded by astro-turf.. such a sad, sad winter!


 Cole absolutely loved the snow!  He was rolling around it for just about the entire time we were there.. this was his snow angel!

Last day of basketball!    He sure does love collecting his medals and trophies!

Caden also participated in winter baseball camp run by the High School Boys Varsity team.  He really enjoyed this camp, and I think he got a lot out of it.  One week he was "camper of the week" for his age group, and the last day of camp they had some drill competitions and he won the "Cy Young" t-shirt for his age group by throwing to hit a target.

Caden definitely got a lot Rob's sports ability in that he's got the skills and drills, but a bit of me is shining through as well in that he shies away from contact and getting into the thick of things.. so baseball might be his top sport. But who knows!! He's only 6 and his personality is constantly morphing with every season.  He certainly has grown up from the little boy who clung to Rob's leg at soccer his first year!






From what I hear his favorite thing that he practiced was running while catching.. or I guess pop-flys? I really need to learn some lingo :)


Caden shows off his baseball prize t-shirt and his basketball participation medal!

I guess the kids got tired of waiting for winter to arrive.. they were begging to start seeds.. unfortunately it is a bit too early.  So we planted some basil (which you can never have too much of!) and some flowers for a hanging basket.  I love that they enjoy gardening.. I hope they have green thumbs!



Waiting for the dirt pods to absorb the water...  apparently very entertaining to kids!


1 comment:

Kelly said...

I really like the second picture. It's really cool!

i can take winter in small doses but I do feel bad at how much the kids miss it! They have had such a blast this week.